Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Keeping it Organic

Hey what's up to everyone bored enough to read my blog! I've been so busy working on developing the concept for CKiPf that I haven't been keeping up with my blogging, which is the reason I am writing this blog today. Funny thing is, I'm working on making life logging more efficient. Here are the challenges I've been met with so far.

(1) It's too tedious! I don't write journals, I don't write blogs (but I'm writing a blog right now, so.... never mind). I like to just whip out my smartphone and hit the home button at best.

So in my searches for life logging products. I have come across Flava, an app for Android and iOS which allows you to capture moments in your life and create your own digital journal. Even though I was hoping to create software with very similar features, I have to say it's pretty cool. So much that I am actually using it right now via twitter to see how much traffic I could possibly push to this post without just posting my link to this page. So if you click on http://flava.in/vJt6 you get to my timeline, where I actually used Flava Clipper, one of the features included, to save the site on my timeline.

The thing I like about Flava is that it has shown a very sleek and user friendly way of documenting your life using your smartphone as a data input. You can save videos, notes, voice memos, pictures, websites, music (by search), and movies (I'm assuming by search, I haven't tried that part yet). It would be totally awesome if Flava had an embedded Shazam function or a tie in with Shazam. That would take a few keystrokes out. For a beta, I have to say this is very well done, and I aim to create something as impressive as this.

After my discussion with Eric Vogel, Harry Mugala, and Sterling Hawkins up at BeakrStudios in Atlanta, Georgia, I was adamant about the fact that I want this software to be automatic, continuous, and searchable.
Flava has done an excellent job of organizing data in multiple forms and making it searchable via user tags associated with each note. I would like to build something that does this automatically.

How would I be able to capture and tag information to automatically recognize what/who is in the picture, your location, and the context of your conversation. I'm sure the context of your conversation part may raise some issues in regards to privacy. My wife doesn't want me to backup any of our files online for fear of someone having too much access to our information.

Flava has addressed that issue as well, allowing users to save this information to their "timeline" which is hosted on the company's cloud based server. So your information is stored without putting the burden on you to provide storage space. That answers the question of where to store 2PB of data. But can I build a system that will store that much data for an incalculable number of users? What type of infrastructure would we need to store 1TB of information per person per year.

Let's just be honest, most if the time in our day is uneventful. It's not like you really need to save every moment of your life, but if we're striving for total recall, that would be necessary. What information do we really need to capture?

I like the fact that Shazam has an automatic feature that operates in the background without interferring with other activity. Can we do that for television/movies/commercials?

I wouldn't mind recording the conversations I have and who I have them with, as long as I control where the data goes. If I decide to share that info, how do you prevent violating the privacy of the other person in the convo.

The personal timeline is incredible. It solves the problem of privacy, organization, and presentation of your daily activity without eating up all your memory saving exhaustive amounts of information?

Maybe we don't need to record EVERYTHING. If we can make lifelogging more accessible we would find ourselves in a competition to find out which device or software allows you to capture information quicke like two gunslingers from the Wild West.


No comments:

Post a Comment