Saturday, January 11, 2014

Lessons to Learn from The Vikings

I'm taking a moment to update what I've done so far today in my "life-logging" experimentation and I have to say the process to document what I have done and seen today frustrates me. I press on, because the only way to solve the problem is to know the problem.

So I've recently found the History Channel TV show, The Vikings on Amazon Prime (http://amzn.to/1hIu3Hb) and I love the story line. Although it may not be historically accurate as expressed by author and self-proclaimed dedicated Norwegian re-enactor Lars Walker (http://mobile.spectator.org/theamericanspectator/#!/entry/history-channel-gets-vikings-precisely-wrong,528ee30c025312186c8dfb20), I find incredible lessons of courage and innovation in the show.

The protagonist Ragnar Lodbrock wants to  sail west to discover new lands to pillage, but he meets opposition with the Chieftain. He goes out on a limb and his hunch to make his dream come true regardless of the status quo. While everyone trembled before the chieftain and subjected themselves to his will, because, as he stated, "They are my ships, I paid for them, you go where I tell you to go.", Ragnar thought outside the box and found the raw talent overlooked by others to produce a means to satisfy his desired end.
Using exceptional ship building techniques (existing technology with outstanding craftsmanship) and new navigational skills (innovation), faith and endurance, he overcame insurmountable odds to discover what many of his kinsmen refused to believe existed. Although, we as a civilized society may disagree with the forceful taking of others valuables and the vast amount of slaughter, I saw great resolve in Ragnar's quest.

He knew what he wanted and he decided to take it. No, did not appear to be an option for him. He refused to bow to the antics of the Chieftain to discredit, even kill him when he first returned from the west. He was unafraid to literally put his life on the line to say that he is a man of his own heart, creating his own destiny. However, success breeds enemies.

As entrepreneurs we could take a few lessons from Ragnar and determine our own destinies.

1. If someone else is paying for the ships, you will do what they tell you to do.
    As long as you allow others to determine your fate, you will do their bidding. That's the reason many of us want to be entrepreneurs right!

2. Don't talk unless you bring something to the table.
    Conversations are good. Ideas are good. When you spend your time or someone else's time "talking", it better be about meeting a mutually beneficial agreement.How productive could you be during that time you waste talking? How much money are you costing that person just by sucking up their time? This leads me to number 3.

3. Seek value not notoriety.
    If you want to "look" good, carry a title, or appreciate a particular status, you will have a difficult time. You should be pursuing your heart's desire. The fire that burns so deep that you must complete your work. Your success will be measured in the accomplishment of your personal goals and the value you are capable of sharing with your commnity.

4. Don't seek approval, seek kindred spirits.
    The business of creating value is based on people working with people. Have you ever been working on an idea and you find someone else working on something bigger or where you want to be? Do you find yourself saying, "If I could talk to that person, I would really be on my way." Well, as Dave McClure pointed out on a podcast I heard a couple of month's ago, don't be a creeper. Relationships should be built organically and genuinely. We as humans have the ability to determine whether or not someone is either trying to buy or sell something. In my opinion, I hate being sold, especially out of the blue! Develop pure relationships, where you can determine whether or not you are travelling the same road.

5. Committment
    Entrepreneurship in my opinion is all about your mental fitness. Are you prepared to do what is necessary to achieve your goals? Are you willing to play the politics with people, barter, trade, give, take, and do what is necessary to attract the talent you require? You must ask yourself these things before you attempt to create allegiances with others.

I'm not trying to offer advice, just my thoughts. Unfortunately, this took several hours for me to get put together for you to read, multiple apps and devices. I'm still working on a more efficient way to create these notes and share them. Until then, I'll keep blogging!

No comments:

Post a Comment